Friday, July 02, 2010

Big Events Comming Up

OVST theater camp is rolling right along. They are working hard on producing Jennifer Hickok DeFratis’s play “Fury Tails with a Twist!” You are totally invited to see it on Friday, July 9th, 2010 at 11:00AM! Every aspect of the production is handled by students participating in the camp; this includes the props, costumes, tech, and even acting! We can’t wait!

We also invite you on the evening of July 9th from 6:00-8:00PM to view works by our artist Kenneth Taylor. Here is what he has to say about his artwork:

"Artwork is my way of telling a story. It is for the most part all that I think about. My paintings are primarily of people. People are vastly different from each other and are always changing. I strive to capture the subject’s complexity as well as their personality and beauty. I isolate the subject through color, contrast and composition, thereby making the scene more intimate and insuring that there are no distractions. I am fascinated by subjects that are unaware of the observer and try to portray a feeling of observation without involvement on the part of the viewer.

I paint using powdered pigments mixed with various mediums laid down in thick transparent glazes. This method allows me to mix colors optically by hatching energetic lines of saturated color over a dark under painting.

To me a great painting is visually provocative, well drafted, and ethereally real."

July 10th brings the triumphant return of Aquabear Live to ARTS/West at 8:00pm and I’ve heard a rumor that there will be hot dogs and rock and roll! What more could you ask for?

The humble play submissions are in and have been sent out to the review committee. We’ve had 18 plays submitted this year from all across the country and we are in the process of whittling them down to 4! Tough work so I’d better get reading!

Don’t forget that we always want to hear from you! But don’t get discouraged if the phone rings and rings to no avail. Please, leave us a message (740) 592-4315, send us and email (artswestathens at gmail), or stalk us on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/ARTSWest)! (You know you do it anyway!)