Hey kids! As you can see, ARTS/West is currently incubating two groups, the Appalachian Progressive Education Center and the Aquabear Legion.
What is incubation and how can I get in on it, you say? Well, ARTS/West defines incubation as:
Incubation: touring companies/bands/activities that would work with ARTS/West as a home base and perform at other locations in the community (schools, churches, the Community Center, Public Performance Arts sites, etc.). Some of these activities could result from classes/workshops while others could be designed from the very conception with touring as their specific purpose.
Project must have community members targeted as its primary audience and must include community members as performers/participants.
What ARTS/West offers: Office space at $60.00 per month
Reduced rate rehearsal spaces
Reduced workshop rate in Performance space
Incubated groups help maintain ARTS/West equipment when appropriate and experience levels allow in exchange for office rental fee.
Incubated groups maintain artistic identity as well as independent 501 (c) 3 non-profit status, board, administrative and financial independence.
What ARTS/West does NOT offer: Financial Assistance
How do we decide who to incubate? Well #1 is the application. Any group or individual who follows our guiding principal is eligible to apply: The Golden Principle - to be included in the first priority it must be a performance project that must have community members targeted as its primary audience and must include community members as performers/participants.
- Appropriateness to the facility, community
- Fair balance of opportunity for those who merit support
- Fair balance of viewpoints (esthetic and social values)
- Diversity of cultural opportunity
- Opportunity for support of emerging groups/projects
- Suitability to the facility (only reason to favor one ‘art’/performance project/area over others)
Also taken into consideration:
- Priorities for use prime weekend evenings vs. weekday & Sunday evenings
- Priorities for use at different times of day (school, after-school, evening, late-night)
- staffing performances (technical, house mgt, tickets, custodial)
- earned income factors
Please contact us in the ARTS/West office and find out how you, too, can get involved!